We are looking for some mock-ups to be used for a redesign of our horribly outdated and cluttered database UI. We plan to have follow-on work for the winning designer to create more screens, icons, etc. for more databases in the same look and feel as the contest winning design.
We will provide frequent feedback!
The database is in Filemaker (it would be a big bonus if you can do the mock-up IN Filemaker, but that is not necessary). So we want to keep it within the realm of possibility on what can be done using that as the framework.
We would like a modern, clean, professional, and “minimalist” design. Background should be a light off-white.
Color should be used in a minimal way to add value and attractiveness, but should not be jarring and should be used sparingly. We have no specific color palate in mind. Put something together that works well, and we’ll comment quickly on it.
Icons can be used if they follow the color guidelines. Graphics should all be intuitive as to what they are for, if not, use text instead. Attractive, modern buttons are also appropriate using these guidelines.
Our CEO is a big Apple fan, so things are _reminiscent_ of Apple’s clean, minimalistic design -- but that do NOT make it look like a Mac or iPad/iPhone UI -- are good. The database program runs on Windows.
Screen will be delivered to a 1028 x 764 touchscreen (think iPad, but this is will not be a native iPad database), as well as a normal computer. So size, placement, and “touch-ability” should be factored into design.
We want everything to be as intuitive as possible for someone who has never used this. We want to WOW them with the simplistic beauty AND ease-of-use/ intuitiveness!
We want 4 mock-ups (details on each follow). I’ve got some very basic drawings to draw inspiration from.
The drawings are only meant to give a general idea about the DB. Locations, design, elements, etc. are up to you!! Do NOT feel you need to copy placement that is in the drawings.
* Main screen
* Pop-up Detail
* Pop-up Selection List
* New activity/location screen
* This is where everything will happen.
* When first opening the database, you’ll see this. It will have all the main relevant information on it.
* From here you may edit a record, search for a record, enter a new record, or link to an action/activity related to this record.
* We want our logo/name on here somewhere. And next to the logo/name, the name of the database application.
* We want navigation elements that apply on this page and are consistent everywhere in the database UI. Icons, button, words, whatever makes sense.
* There will be primary information about a person or entity, and associated additional information.
* There should be an area that shows important current information (e.g. alerts for the day)
* There should be some sort of navigation for going between records, searching, adding a new record, changing to other activities, looking at a calendar, and quitting.
* Where all of the above goes doesn’t matter per se, make it look good.
* This is to get more details about the person. Stuff you don’t need to look at as often, but sometimes want to review.
* It should pop-up over the main screen with the main screen in the background
* One could use this pop-up to just view or view and edit the info
* When finished looking or editing, you’d have some way of making it close and go back to the main screen.
* Consistent look and feel would be here, you'd you’d only be editing or closing the pop-up so no need for lots of buttons as in the drawing for this.
Pop-up Selection list:
* When changing a field, we want a pop-up to give them a list of choices.
* Make it look good and be intuitive (we do not want a spinning wheel like an iPhone/iPad) -- it is really just a selection list, but make it fit with the rest of the design and be intuitive on what it does.
New activity/location screen:
* A full-fledged new “main screen” that is an activity unto itself, related to the user/entity on the main screen.
* Very similar to the main screen in design, but it will display different information.
* Should appear filling 90-95% of the screen with the main screen still visible behind it.
* Again, navigation consistent across all pages
* Also, want to display tabular “spreadsheet-like” data on this page, but do NOT want it to look like a spreadsheet. Make it look pretty and easy to use.
* We have different types of data fields that will appear:
- Information that is viewable and not changeable
- Information that is edit-able directly
- Information that could be edited from a different page
- Highlighted or important info
Please incorporate examples of this into the page – hopefully the meaning will be intuitive from the view.
If you can design custom icons, that is a big bonus. We are also ok with open source icons.
Any questions please ask!!