Both sample logos are from this site:
Both designs have strong contrasting colors and include a strong blue. Both designs also are based on a "lightbulb" motif, which is a common representation for invention.
With regard to the 38399 design:
Pros: We really like the gears - makes it seem more like a physical invention
Cons: Don't like the color change that arcs through the middle of the logo
-Don't like the shadow oval at the bottom
-The screw portion of the light bulb is a different blue from the exterior gear. It should be either the same color or clearly some other color.
- Base of lightbulb could be simplified - the horizontal white lines seem like they would be too small of features.
- A few too many gear "teeth", both the inside and exterior gears, but especially on the interior gears, which may make it difficult to print.
Additional Modification: Company name woulf be a top line of "Barich IP"
and a smaller bottom line of "Law Group" - maybe "Barich IP" in color and "Law Group" in black?
With regard to the 53787 design:
Pros: larger features for good reproducability
Cons: Too abstract.
- The round "bulb" of the light bulb is not clearly connected to the base.
- Don't like that the exterior blue circle is open at the right
- We would want the name of the company to the right of the logo
Overall, the first design is in the general area of what we are looking for. Maybe with bigger exterior gear teething and some of the simplifications we identified above, including the possible removal of the interior gears. That's just our current thoughts, though, and we are eager to see your concepts!