- The 10 team members and the number 10 is symbolic of the ten fingers of the Inuit sea goddess Sedna (the "Sea Woman") whose fingers became the large sea animals for hunting as part of the legend
- Expedition for marine science and archaeology, educational outreach, hyperbaric medicine, Inuit culture, issues impacting women and girls in the North, disappearing sea ice and climate change
- Proof-of-concept expedition in July 2014, from Labrador to Baffin Island to West Greenland
- Following in the footsteps of Vikings, Canadians (Amundsen, Franklin and Steffanson)
- Official Name: ”2014 – 2016 Sedna Epic Expedition”
- A call for action to bring attention to disappearing sea ice and to make global policies based on sound science
Logo design project:
The expedition requires a logo and wordmark that captures its spirit. The finished logo will contain
- Wordmark with the official title of the expedition "The 2014-2016 Sedna Epic Expedition"
- Logo which includes the image of a tusked narwhal (unicorn of the sea) and Sedna, the sea goddess or the sea woman. She is also the mother and protector of all marine mammals. (Background links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedna_…thology%29 )
- Sedna might be intertwined with/holding/protecting a narwhal, or pictured solo
- The image of Sedna the sea goddess in her Inuit form (Wearing an Amauti (or traditional Inuit women's parka) with striped trim. (Google image search will provide 000's of sample images), long wild and flowing hair (her hair is sometimes in a loose braid), a whale/fish tail, no fingers. Her tail can resemble a fish with intricate scales...
- Colours: "Contemporary/modern" Blue and Orange and Grey (designer can suggest others) (Narwhals are grey. SEDNA could be grey and orange. The water could be a complimentary shade of blue.
- A square configuration (or framed logo). Logo should not be round. (The logo will be used as flashes on expedition jackets, hats, scuba tanks and dry suits. The logo will be used on the website and it will be made into an expedition flag that will fly from the mast of the ship.
- If possible capture femininity, the Arctic, Snorkelling (the snorkel zone +/- 15 feet above and below the water)