- Hello, you fabulous designers you! I'm looking for a cover for a horror novel. The title is "Hag's Trail" and the author name will be Jimmy Millwood.
- Looking for both an ebook cover (which would be the front cover image only) and the print version cover (which would include the spine and the back).
-For Kindle (the ebook cover), they recommend an ideal height/width ratio of 1:6. A minimum of 625 pixels on the short side, min. 1000 pixels on the longest side. For best quality they recommend 1563 pixels for the short side and 2500 pixels for the long side.
- I'm not quite sure yet what the print version sizes will be, I have to figure out the dimensions once I have a final page count. I'll e-mail you in a couple of weeks with the needed dimensions. The spine will just need the author name and book title. I'll also send you the back blurb once I have the dimensions. (You'll be paid immediately, you won't have to wait for this stage in order to receive your payment.)
- The cover *must* have both the title and the author name.
- The story: A man's daughter is stolen by a witch, the man sets out to get his daughter back.
- Set in the early 1830s.
- I have no preference to how you approach the cover - go totally symbolic, pure pulp, scary text, realistic, whatever your crafty hearts desire. Here is a link to the top selling horror books on Amazon - http://www.amazon.ca/gp/bestsellers What would make our book stand out? What would make a casual shopper want to take a look?
- If you go pulpish, feel free to throw in some goofy tagline if you wish. Here's a google image search for pulp covers: https://www.google.ca/search?q=pulp
- Here's some possible image ideas:
- The main character, Louis the father, is a grizzled, lean and mean kind of man. Think Clint Eastwood in "Unforgiven".
- The daughter he's trying to save is mid-teens, dark hair and dark eyes. Early womanhood sexiness.
- Louis befriends Cherokee Charlie, a full-blooded Cherokee who wears a battered Derby hat. He's twentyish.
- The main villain, the "hag", is an ancient crone. Nobody ever sees her dead on. She's more of a terrifying impression.
- Louis also befriends a good witch, a lovely red-haired woman in her early thirties.
- Dreams and nightmares play a large part in the story. The hag drives people mad by terrorizing them in their sleep. Charlie tries to stop the dream invasions by creating a dream-catcher, like so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcatcher
- Cherokee imagery might also be used, since Charlie is of course full-blooded, plus he leads Louis to his people for help fighting the hag. Also, the story takes place during the time of the Trail of Tears in American history.
By no means do you have to use any of the above for images, go wild with whatever you want. Be creepy, sexy, gory, etc... I'm wide open to whatever you want to try. In the end, we want your image to stop a book browser in their tracks.
Feel free to ask me as many questions as you want, I'll try to answer as quickly as I can.